Monday, July 10, 2006

STANDING STILL

... three one, three two, three three, BANG!
Check, Turn, Check, BANG!
Look up, straight ahead;
Heads tilt up, on parade.

Lance in hand,
Background's band;
This test of will,
Standing Still.

Up in the clouded sky,
Planes flying high;
Rolling tape reels,
Yet standing still.

Legs and arms cramp,
Uniform: Damp.
Pain through the heels;
I'm standing still.

In the blazing heat,
The bass drum beats;
On my burning feet,
Taking my retreat.

If asked to do again,
Through sunshine & rain;
Me, Standing still,
I know I will.

-Annonymous.

Being involved in the national day celebrations, has allowed me to draw much similarity between our Christian lives in general, and Faith in particular, with being on parade.

Being on parade, you have to be still, unwavering and looking smart and proud. Not even paying heed to the various distractions around you, be it the crowd, the beat of the music, the aircraft flying a mile above your head, the journalists walking around you trying to take pictures etc etc.

Uncomfortable your position may be, with your wet uniform and cramping muscles, you are expected not to move or fidget, relying on your focus and paid attention to the task to carry you through the parade. Only when the final drum roll is played are you permitted to move off.

Similarly:
Our Christian walk is like being on parade. We are to be unwavering in our faith, through all the trials and tribulations (represented by the rain, heat, wet uniform etc) as well as the distractions that abound (represented by the rolling tapes of the media, the spectators, the lights, the glitz, the "important" people who pass you by, and so on).

Until the moment that we are to retire from this present life (our sounded retreat by the drum beat), we shall not be moved... just like a tree planted by the water's side. We SHALL NOT and MUST NOT be moved.

5 comments:

Kareen said...

Right you are! Though of course, we are weak, BUT HE is strong. In Him do we find strength,in Him do we perpetually seek solace in.

Psalm 71:3
Be thou my strong habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: thou hast given commandment to save me; for thou art my rock and my fortress.


I was at the NDP (family day)last Sat. The parade was great. As always.

joan said...

That's a good analogy Lucas.

I've never been (and never will be) in such a grand parade. But I've done my share of scouting parades during my secondary school days.

Now if only it were that easy to stand in line in this very long Christian parade.

Lucas said...

last week's parade not so many fireworks... the NE show for the Primary 5 kids had so much more!

heh... anyways, here's another verse that i find apt.

Psalm 18:2
THe Lord is my Rock, and my Fortress, and my Deliverer, my God, my Strength, in whom I will Trust, my Buckler, and the Horn of my salvation, and my High Tower.

With One who is unchanging and ever there for His children, I think all we have to do is lean back on Him when we feel like falling, cos He's right there for us when we need Him.

Anonymous said...

That's a good analogy Lucas. (copy from joan, hope not copy righted)

When you are in uniform and on parade you represents the organisation. That "demand" certain behaviour and as Christian we are on parade for Christ. Therefore our behaviour should bring glory and not shame.

Check your life daily !

Anonymous said...

Question. How would you know the true origin of the Bible. Skip the scriptures part. I mean how would you know that there's no lost book left in the Bible or theres a book left out somewhere out there? For example the history of the Bible's forming started where the early day Christians only endorsed the usage of 4 books officially which is Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. The other books so called were kept. And throughout history Christianity is often being chased and banned so how would you know at some point in time this books were lost? And other books so called like Timothy, Romans were actually letters written to certain brethren or a certain congregation. So how can the Bible particularly the new testament be authentic in this case where there are doubts about its beginnings. All this source was taken from the National Geographic Magazine addressing the issue of The gospel Of Judas. But the timeline being recorded and information there is gives a doubt to the full and completeness of the Bible. It is vital that prove to the Bible's authentification besides going to the scriptures is important. Prove outside the scriptures such as physical evidence at least to support the completeness of the Bible. So how can this issue or question be answered?